Apr 14, 2015
Itoje signs contract extension
Saracens and England Saxons lock Maro Itoje has committed his future to the club by signing a new contract.
The 20-year old Junior World Cup winning captain, who skippered Saracens victorious LV=Cup side this season, has signed a long term deal with the north London club.
The 6ft 5in second row has already made 24 appearances for Saracens, and has played a vital role in the club’s European and domestic campaigns having also made his England Saxons debut in January.
On committing his future to the club, Itoje said: “First and foremost I’m incredibly excited to commit my future to Saracens.
“Saracens are a great club who have treated me unbelievably well since I joined at the age of 14. The club feels like home, and I’m really excited to have extended my contract.
“The club is incredibly ambitious and we have been competing at the highest level for some time. As a player you want to be playing in the big games and hopefully if I can keep improving I will be involved in more and more of them.”
Director of Rugby Mark McCall: “Maro’s progress over the last two seasons has been outstanding. He’s captained Saracens to the A-League and LV=Cup title’s with great maturity and he has an incredible desire and hunger to get better as a player.
“What’s even more impressive is he’s managed to combine his progression as a rugby player alongside his studies, in which he is also excelling.
“He’s an incredibly ambitious young man, and we’re delighted to announce he’ll be extending his stay with Saracens.”
Maro Itoje Fact file
- Made his Saracens debut against Cardiff Blues at Allianz Park in the LV=Cup, January 27 2013
- Made his full Premiership debut against Leicester Tigers on May 10 2014
- Captained England U20s to the 2014 Junior World Championship
- Made his England Saxons debut against the Irish Wolfhounds in January 2015
- Has captained Saracens to both the Premiership A-League and LV=Cup title's this season
- Has not lost a game as skipper in the A-League and the LV=Cup (13 games in total)
- Is currently studying Politics at School of Oriental and African Studies