Apr 26, 2013
Saracens v Toulon - match facts and figures
Saracens face Toulon at Twickenham on Sunday – and the semi-final Heineken Cup match is the first meeting between the two sides in the competition.
The match-up at Twickenham has thrown up a number of facts and figures – so the statistically minded among you, see the below.
Saracens v Toulon – Match Facts and Figures
- This will be the first meeting between Saracens and Toulon in the Heineken Cup, though the clubs did meet in the 2009/10 Amlin Challenge Cup with both sides securing home victories.
- This is Saracens’ second Heineken Cup semi-final appearance (also 2007/08) and their fifth overall in ERC competitions. They have yet to advance to the final of either tournament.
- The game will mark the second time a last-four match in the tournament has been played at English rugby HQ. The previous occasion was in 2008 when Toulouse defeated London Irish 21-15.
- There have been five previous semi-finals between English and French clubs with all of them taking place in England. English clubs have won three and lost two.
- Saracens’ captain Steve Borthwick is in line to lead his club in the semi-final for what will be his 50th Heineken Cup match (Heineken Cup appearances: Bath Rugby 31, Saracens 18).
- This is Toulon’s first appearance in the last four of the Heineken Cup (at their second attempt), though they have reached two Amlin Challenge Cup finals.
- Toulon have won all five of their clashes with English opponents in this tournament.
- There were test players from nine countries playing for these two clubs in the quarter-finals: Argentina, Australia, England, France, New Zealand, Scotland, South Africa, USA and Wales.
- Five English players started for Toulon in the quarter-final against Leicester Tigers.
- Steve Borthwick has won more lineouts (42, including three steals) than any other player in this season’s edition of the tournament.
- Steffon Armitage and Jonny Wilkinson have both weighed in with four try assists this season, only Morgan Parra (5) has more. No other forward has one assist to his name.
- Saracens’ Kelly Brown made eight more tackles (21) than any other player in the quarter-finals.
- Steffon Armitage, Chris Masoe and Sebastien Tillous-Borde of Toulon all made the Amlin Opta Index team of the quarter-finals.