Apr 29, 2015
Billy and Mako commit to Saracens
Saracens are delighted to announce that forward duo Billy Vunipola and Mako Vunipola have committed their futures to the club.
The England international brothers have put pen to paper to multi-year extensions with the Allianz Park outfit, and are the latest players to have committed their future in north London.
The 24-year-old loosehead Mako joined Saracens from Bristol in the summer of 2011 and has developed into one of the game’s finest prop forwards. Younger brother Billy joined his brother at Saracens in the summer of 2013 from Wasps. Since then, he has become a full England international and had gone to make 37 appearances for the north Londoners.
Speaking about signing a new deal, British Lions prop Mako said: “I’ve been at the club a bit longer than my brother and I’ve really enjoyed my rugby and the club have really looked after me. That’s one of the key things for me, there are some really good people around me and I have some great friends here.
“There’s a really good young core in the team now with people like Jamie George, Owen Farrell, George Kruis, Jackson Wray, Maro Itoje and of course my brother. I’m excited to see how far we can go and I want to be around and enjoy my rugby with them and see how we can improve as players.
“There’s been some very special memories in my time at the club and hopefully there will be more to come. We made two finals last season and this year I feel we have improved our game. There have been a few tough times, but it’s been really pleasing how we have bounced back from that.
“The whole culture of the club is special both in terms of what we do on the pitch but also the opportunities we’re given off it to improve ourselves and become great friends. It’s a special place and we are both delighted to be staying.”
Billy added: “It was a very easy decision to remain at Saracens. I really enjoy being at the club. The environment really helps me with my rugby and also my time away from the game. I’m really happy to stay and the way things are going.
“We always want to be in the business end of the season. It’s not all about that but I want to be winning things, but also enjoying my rugby and having fun and there is a really good mix of that at Saracens. We are a very close group and it’s great to think that we will both be part of that for the years to come.”
Saracens Director of Rugby, Mark McCall, explained: “We’re delighted that Mako and Billy have extended their contracts with club. The pair of them are both under 25, and they are the cornerstones of a very exciting pack of young forwards for this club. Alongside the likes of Jamie George, Will Fraser, George Kruis, Maro Itoje and Jackson Wray, Billy and Mako are playing a huge part going forward.
“They bring a huge amount on the pitch, and both have achieved an incredible amount in such a short space of time. They also contribute off the field in terms of the group and the environment at the club. We’re very happy that they both see their future here at Saracens.”
Mako Vunipola Fact file
• Joined Saracens in the summer of 2011 from Bristol
• Has made 72 Saracens appearances since making his Saracens debut vs Bath in November 2011
• Represented England at U18s, U20s & Saxons level
• Made his England debut against Fiji in November 2012 after making only 15 Premiership appearances.
• Has won 19 England caps.
• Won 3 caps for the British and Irish Lions in their victorious Australia tour in 2013
• Has studied Business and Management at the Open University
Billy Vunipola Fact File
• Joined Saracens in the summer of 2013
• First season in Saracens colours saw Viliami ‘Billy’ Vunipola awarded the Premiership Land Rover Discovery of the season award.
• Made his test debut for England’s in their 32-3 triumph over Argentina in June 2013
• Has made 37 Saracens appearances since making his debut against London Irish is September 2013
• Has won 16 caps for England, and won the ‘Forward of the 2015 Six Nations’ award for his superb performances in the white of England.