Jan 23, 2015
Clermont vs Saracens - Match Preview
Saracens travel to the city of Clermont-Ferrand this weekend for their crucial European Champions Cup clash against French giants ASM Clermont Auvergne on Sunday afternoon.
Situated in the French Volcanic region of Auvergne, ASM Clermont Auvergne will host Saracens at the Stade Marcel-Michelin going into the game top of Pool 1, leading the north Londoners by just one point.
After Saracens defeated Les Jaunards earlier on this season in a 30-23 win at Allianz Park, we look at some of the match statistics going into Sunday's game.
• Whoever wins on Sunday will top the pool and qualify for the quarter-finals.
• Clermont have won two of the three pool meetings between the clubs, but lost 30-23 at Allianz Park in Round 1.
• Both teams have scored 12 tries so far this season, while Saracens have conceded just three more points (77) than Clermont (74).
• Jamie George of Saracens has missed just two of his 68 attempted tackles – the best record of any player in the tournament.
• If Clermont win, it would be their 50th victory in Europe's top flight.
• Nick Abendanon has beaten 15 defenders to date; only five players have beaten more than the Clermont full back.
• Clermont's fly-half Camille Lopez is the second highest points scorer (62) in the tournament behind Leinster's Ian Madigan.
• Chris Ashton is the leading try scorer between the clubs this season with four in five games.
• Both Clermont and Saracens have scored five tries to date from first phase ball.
• Clermont have scored two tries after stealing an opponent's lineout, more than any other club so far.