May 14, 2015
Exeter's Conlon to join Saracens
Saracens can confirm that England Junior World Championship winner Joel Conlon will join the club from Exeter Chiefs.
The Taunton born back rower who lined up against Saracens in the season’s LV=Cup final will join the Saracens Senior Academy later this summer.
Conlon will be linking up with his former England U20s teammates Biyi Alo, Nathan Earle, Aaron Morris, Maro Itoje, Henry Taylor, Hayden Thompson-Stringer and Nick Tompkins in the Saracens Senior Academy.
He has made nine appearances for the Sandy Park outfit, and has also played for Championship side Cornish Pirates during his spell with the Chiefs.
Speaking about linking up with the Saracens Senior Academy, the 21-year said: “'I'm really excited to be moving to Saracens next season. They’re a club with a lot of ambition and I can’t wait to get started there.”
Saracens Academy Manager, Don Barrell: “Joel is coming in to be part of our senior academy group who we expect to progress at a good rate into the senior set-up. We’re very excited to have him on board.
“We’re really happy to get him. He’s a hugely talented prospect and I think he has proven that in the games he’s played for Exeter. He had a fantastic Junior World Championship campaign for England last summer and we think he’s a back rower with a huge amount of potential.”
Joel Conlon Factfile
- Studied at Ivybridge College, whose alumni include Saracens scrumhalf Ben Spencer.
- Made his Exeter Chiefs debut against London Welsh in November 2012
- Came off the bench for the Cornish Pirates against Saracens at the HAC in August 2013
- Was a try scorer in the Junior World Championship Final for England U20s in their 21-20 win over South Africa in June 2014
- Faced Saracens in the LV=Cup final at Franklin’s Gardens in March 2015
- Follow Joel on Twitter - @Joel_Conlon