Saracens Foundation Financial Controller (Hybrid/Flexible Working
Saracens Foundation are seeking to employ a Financial Controller to join our small Foundation Finance team. The Foundation has for the last 20 years worked tirelessly to support the local communities across the Hertfordshire and North London areas by changing lives through the power of sport. The charity runs over 30 programmes which service the needs of individuals from the age range of primary school all the way through to the over 50’s, to those with impairments (both physical and non physical) to those in the criminal justice system.
The role of Financial Controller is a very important role within the operation of the Foundation. This post will take responsibility for the day-to-day management of the charity’s finances. The successful candidate will provide strategic guidance through their own experience and qualifications as well as expertise. This role will sit within the Senior Leadership Team and will work closely with the Head of Foundation to ensure that the Charity is managed well and is financially healthy.
The post holder will build and maintain strong relationships with all internal team members and in turn with the Board of Trustees of the Foundation too. The role of Financial Controller is crucial and will work to ensure that the targets set out in the Foundation ‘Grow & Improve’ strategy is achieved by being hands on.
This a full-time position, based at StoneX Stadium with a hybrid/flexible working pattern which will allow for the best outcomes for our charity. There is also a possibility for the role to be 4 days a week and therefore be suitable to anyone looking to join the workplace again following a career break.
Saracens is an inclusive, people first organisation. A core part of achieving our mission is that our workforce is diverse and reflective of the community that we serve. There will be no discrimination in our recruitment and selection processes, nor when considering pay and benefits. We encourage people from all backgrounds to apply for the position and join us on our mission to enrich lives through sport and entertainment. (You can read more about diversity and inclusion here).
If you are excited by the idea of working with our team, we’d love to hear from you.
- JOB TITLE: Financial Controller of Saracens Sport Foundation
- LOCATION: StoneX Stadium, Greenlands Lane, Hendon, London, NW4 1RL
- CONTRACT TYPE: Permanent
- REPORTING TO: Head of Foundation
- SALARY: up to £40,000 (subject to experience) per annum
- KEY STAKEHOLDERS: All internal departments, external stakeholders including Trustee’s and Funders
WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING
- Provide strategic guidance and advice to contribute to the achievement of the Foundation’s business and charitable objectives
- Oversee external audits and the preparation and finalisation of the annual statutory accounts.
- You will be responsible for the preparation of the monthly management accounts on a timely basis and assistance with the timely preparation of the Finance Report for the regular Trustee meetings.
- Assist to ensure that the Charity complies with all financial and reporting requirements.
- Assist with compliance issues with the Charity Commission and Companies House.
- Support the development and implementation of the ‘Grow and Improve’ strategy, in close partnership with the Head of Foundation and the Senior Leadership Team with an ability to challenge ideas.
- A Finance expert, who can support peers and staff to develop their financial competencies, while ensuring staff feel valued and respected to excel in their roles.
- You demonstrate the business acumen and relationship building skills to financially manage and control the Charity including the preparation of the annual budget and forecasts and to manage the day-to-day financial transactions.
- A self-motivated leader who can support the development of partnerships across the third, public and private sectors.
- A senior leader who has the skills and experience to manage and maintain the necessary systems, policies and procedures to ensure effective and efficient financial management on a cost-effective basis.
- To provide a vital link between the Foundation and Saracens Rugby Club in particular in respect of HR and Finance matters
- Support on the writing of grant applications and reporting.
- Support the Head of Foundation on ad hoc projects.
YOU SHOULD APPLY IF
- Hold a professional financial qualification (ACCA, ACA, CIMA).
- Able to multi task and manage workload effectively
- Extensive experience in creating and delivering financial plans, business plan and charitable strategies
- Demonstrable experience of managing financial budgets, tracking income and expenditure
- Experience in providing strategic guidance to a senior leadership team, to help them achieve their individual objectives
- Excellent ability to build stakeholder relationships both internally and externally
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Experience of working in the Third Sector
- You have excellent written and verbal communication skills (attention to detail is essential)
- Experience or knowledge for working in a sport for change landscape (desirable but not essential)
- Understand the current challenges faced by organisations in the charity sector
- You have a relentless focus and are a great team player who has a good sense of humour
- You thrive in and promote a culture of hard work, discipline, honesty, and humility to deliver results
- You manage projects, activities, and resources effectively, assuming personal ownership and accountability for results
- Proven ability to challenge and influence others
- Report writing and presentation experience
- Assertive, yet calm and works well under pressure
- An ambassador for sport for change
- Perception and awareness of when things may work
- You encourage open discussion of different ideas and views; welcome and solicit feedback
- You instil continuous improvement mind-set and champion best practices
- You are happy with a mix of getting your hands dirty and thinking strategically
- Your manager reviews your salary annually. However, proactive pay increases will be implemented to reflect growing responsibilities
- Up to 25 days’ holiday a year, plus bank holidays – please use them all!
Health & Wellbeing
- Paid sick leave for both physical & mental health
Sports & Entertainment
- After work events including PT, football and tag rugby
- Ballot tickets for Saracens Home Games
- Ballot tickets for International Rugby Games
- Opportunities for discounted tickets to Saracens games and events for you and your family
- Enhanced paid maternity, paternity, adoption or shared parental leave, if you’ve been with us for at least 26 weeks
- Life Assurance with Zurich
- We’re a member of the cycle-to-work scheme
How to apply:
To apply for this role, please submit a CV and cover letter of how your experiences match the job role.
Please send applications to firstname.lastname@example.org by the closing date of Friday 16th December 2022 by 5pm. We will be conducting interviews as we shortlist candidates. If you have not been contacted within 7 days of the application deadline, please assume that your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion.
Saracens Foundation positively welcomes and seeks to ensure we achieve diversity in our workforce and that all job applicants and employees receive equal and fair treatment. We encourage applications from all candidates regardless of age, race, gender, gender identity, gender expression, religion, sexual orientation, disability, or nationality.
Disclaimer: due to the high volume of applications we receive, we reserve the right to close a vacancy earlier than the advertised date. This is to ensure our teams can manage application levels while maintaining a positive candidate experience. Once a vacancy has closed, we are unable to consider further applications, so please submit your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.