Saracens Pioneer Volunteers
Our renowned Saracens Pioneer Volunteer programme was established in the Olympic year of 2012. Saracens Pioneers are the life blood (DNA) of Saracens along with the staff and players. Match days are delivered with the support, participation, and time given by our volunteers, known as ‘The Pioneers’. The Pioneers make each and every home match day a unique and fabulous experience for all our visitors to StoneX Stadium.
We maintain a pool of up to 170 Pioneers with typically 90 to 100 volunteering on match day. Recruitment cycles are annual and start in summer. The programme sets high expectations and has done so since inception in 2012, becoming the envy of many sporting organisations nationally and globally. The programme delivers an enhanced customer service to Spectators whilst upholding our Saracens core values. Pioneers are part of the Saracens family, are highly valued throughout the club, partners, sponsors and fanbase.
Our Pioneers are a diverse group of people of all ages and backgrounds. Some of our Pioneers travel from further afield, to support Saracens, besides those who live locally in and around North London.
Saracens Pioneers are a team of match day volunteers who represent the smiling faces of Saracens Rugby Club. This opportunity is for anyone interested in volunteering with an elite sporting organisation at its spectator events at StoneX Stadium. The programme will give volunteers practical insight into match day operations, crowd dynamics, as well as achieving a qualification in Spectator Safety.
Our programme currently consists of 16 home matches for Saracens Mens rugby matches that Pioneers can support throughout the season. Whilst we would love for our volunteers to support on all 16 matches, we know that this is not always possible. We do however hope that we cab get about +/- of 8 games throughout the season for Pioneers to support on.
The Pioneer Programme is inclusive and open to all. Primarily we are looking for individuals who are:
- Reliable, friendly, engaging and professional
- Over the age of 18
- Able to display good interpersonal, communication and excellent customer service skills
- Relentlessly positive, responsible, adaptable and energised at all times
- Enjoy working professionally in a team environment
- Supportive and sensitive to the needs of visitors, supporters, Pioneer colleagues and staff
- Able to demonstrate and abide by the Saracen’s core values of Honesty, Discipline, Humility and Work Rate.
- A level of mobility to achieve the Pioneer role within the stadium environment
- Stadium or rugby experience is not essential for the Pioneer role
Pioneer Match Day key roles and responsibilities include but not limited to the following:
Health and safety, welfare and the meeting and greeting to the very highest standards, of all our Spectators and visitors within the stadium environment on a match day. Saracens Pioneers are a unique resource that draws on best practice for crowd safety management, stewarding and customer service to all our visitors.
Pioneers do provide a dedicated service to assist our disabled visitors. A number of our Pioneers have professional experience working with client groups with a range of physical, emotional and learning challenges.
All of our Pioneers volunteer in Spectators Services in the following areas:
- Meeting & Greeting and welcoming Spectators, visitors and fans within and to the Stadium, through our three gates and at Edgware, Mill Hill Broadway and Mill Hill East stations, as well as at the Pursley Road bus stops and footpaths
- Undertaking ticketing duties at our three gates
- Working in our North, South, East (which includes hospitality areas) and West stands
- Working in our fan zone areas
- Working with our Hospitality Support Team.
VOLUNTEER MANAGEMENT SUPPORT
Behind the scenes there is a Volunteer Management and Volunteer Support team engaged in supporting, motivating, planning, logistics, HR, training/ development of our volunteers. Looking after and supporting our Pioneers is extremely important to the programmer.
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
We are looking for people who can show potential to become a Pioneer through skills and experience gained from their personal life, work, volunteer experiences and educational background as follows:
- Demonstrate flexibility to cover match day responsibilities in all areas of the volunteer role
- Undertake match day roles in a reliable, friendly, responsible and professional manner, making spectator safety a priority
- Demonstrate good communication that support and develop your potential to deliver excellent customer service within a team
- Show evidence of skills to volunteer in the Spectator Service roles with a passion for volunteering
- Show evidence of personal excellence and going that extra mile that would support the volunteer role
- Give evidence of being relentlessly positive, exceptional and energised at all times.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
- It is a mandatory requirement that every volunteer achieves as soon as practicable possible lst4Sport Level 2 Certificate in Spectator Safety or shows evidence that they have achieved this qualification or equivalent. This qualification is provided by Saracens.
- Requirements in some areas would need mobility to climb stairs.
- Complete and meet criteria of volunteer orientation to achieve and confirm your Pioneer status
BENEFITS OF VOLUNTEERING
- Expenses reimbursed on agreed threshold for travel
- Meal & Refreshments provided whilst on duty
- Pioneer uniform
- Incentives to recognise the time and efforts of all Pioneers throughout the season through a variety of events.
- Opportunities to volunteer within other Saracen’s Sporting events
- The chance to build friendships and camaraderie with fellow Pioneers and colleagues
To find out more about the role and the opportunity to become a Saracens Pioneer, please complete the Pioneer application form on our Volunteer Management System. A member of our team will be in touch with you to progress your application.
Alternatively, if you want to know more about the programme, or if you know anyone else who may be interested in joining the team, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.