Saracens were crowned the 2014/15 Aviva Premiership Champions after they beat Bath Rugby 28-16 at Twickenham Stadium.

In a bruising encounter it was Mark McCall’s side who raced into a 25-3 lead in a devastating first half performance. Tries from Man of the Match Owen Farrell, a race away score fro Jamie George and a routine five pointer for Chris Wyles did the damage. Bath fought back in the second half, but Saracens held on to win their second Premiership title.

Saracens were on the scoreboard within seven minutes. A quick throw saw Alex Goode exploit space out wide and he released David Strettle who took the ball deep into Bath territory. It was worked through the phases with Billy Vunipola and Duncan Taylor both have attempts at the line before Owen Farrell took an offload and a clever show and go gave him a clear run over the line. He converted his own score.

A second try came on 15 minutes. Pressure in midfield from the Saracens press defence forced the mistake and Jamie George picked up the loose ball and showed a clean pair of heels to the Bath defenders to celebrate his England call-up with a try in a Premiership final.

Farrell failed to convert George’s try but he made no mistake with 22 minutes on the clock with a penalty after great work from the front row forced an error on a Bath scrum.

George Ford then got Bath on the scoreboard with 27 minutes on the clock to make it 15-3 heading into the final 10 minutes of the half.

Saracens third of the game came on 33 minutes. Again, Bath were attacking and again, the error was forced in midfield and Duncan Taylor broke clear. His offload looked to be heading to the floor before Strettle’s keepie uppie kept the play alive and he went to within inches of the line. As the ball was recycled, it went through the hands before Chris Wyles touched down. Farrell converted.

Farrell added another three points when Maro Itoje was tackled without the ball and Farrell kicked a simple three points from in front of the posts.

Bath clearly came out of the dressing room with a renewed vigour after the break and Ford added a penalty before they crossed the line for the first time in the game. Patient build-up play allowed Jonathan Joseph space to cross the line. Ford converted.

Ford continued to chip away at the lead with a penalty on the hour mark, making it a nine point game heading into the final quarter.

But Farrell was on target again two minute later when the Bath defence were caught offside to restore the 12 point lead.

Bath threw everything at Saracens, but the men in white shirts stood up to the West Country side. With the game in its dieing embers Billy Vunipola grubbered to kick into touch as Wayne Barnes blew his full-time whistle as Saracens were crowned 2014/15 Aviva Premiership Champions.

Match highlights

Highlights | Bristol Bears 23-21 Saracens Men (Round 19)

Highlights | Bristol Bears 23-21 Saracens Men (Round 19)

Duration 1m

Highlights of the Gallagher Premiership Round 19 clash between Bristol Bears and Saracens at Ashton Gate.