Nov 26, 2015
A prolific career in pictures - Charlie Hodgson
Premiership legend Charlie Hodgson has announced that he will be hanging up his boots at the end of the 2015/16 season after a stellar 16 year career for both club and country.
The 35-year old outside half will head up the club’s recruitment drive throughout all age groups as Head of Talent Identification and Recruitment at the end of this season
England and British Lions international playmaker and all time Premiership leading points scorer Charlie Hodgson joined Saracens at the start of the 2011/12 season and has gone on to make 111 Saracens appearances.
It took Hodgson only 80 minutes to blaze across the England rugby firmament when scoring a record 44 points on his Test debut against Romania at Twickenham 11 years ago
Between February 2003 and November 2006, Halifax-born Charlie started all except one of the 24 Tests for which he was available. He had helped England towards a Grand Slam in 2003, missed the subsequent RWC, required a second operation on an anterior cruciate ligament injury and was absent for eight months.
He helped Sale Sharks win the Premiership title in 2006 and has also toured with the British and Irish Lions.
A shrewd and experienced playmaker, Hodgson is the Premiership’s leading points scorer and his performances for Saracens saw him return to the England side in the 2012 Six Nations where he formed a midfield partnership with his club colleague Owen Farrell.
Following England’s tour to South Africa in the summer of 2012, Hodgson announced that he would be retiring from international rugby. He became the first player in Premiership history to reach 2,000 points and was inducted into the Premiership Hall of Fame in February 2013.
Hodgson maybe in the autumn of his career, but his performances for Saracens have been of the highest standard. Last season he made his 100th Saracens appearance in front of a world record crowd of 84,068 fans at Wembley Stadium and was crucial in the club’s charge to the Premiership title, as Hodgson picked up his second league winners medal in his career.
Charlie Hodgson Facts and Figures
• Is the Aviva Premiership record points scorer having amassed 2,486 points in the English top flight – he is also the record goal kicker in the Premiership, with 830
• Marked his England début with a record breaking 44-point haul against Romania in November 2001, still the most by any England player in a test match
• Was inducted into the Premiership Hall of Fame in February 2013
• Made 228 appearances for Sale Sharks from 2000-2011 before moving to Saracens. He has since made 111 appearances for the north Londoners
• Has been crowned a Premiership champion twice, in 2005/6 for Sale Sharks and in 2014/15 for Saracens.