Jun 12, 2017
England U20's name team for World Rugby Championship semi-final
A trio of Saracens have been named in the England U20’s side ahead of tomorrow’s crucial World Rugby U20’s Championship semi-final against South Africa.
Tomorrow’s game will be a rematch of last year’s semi-final, where England defeated the ‘Baby Boks’ en-route to winning the tournament themselves, and they will be looking to repeat this feat at Tblisi’s Mikheil Meskhi Stadium, a new venue for them in this edition of the U20’s World Championship. The other semi-final will see New Zealand take on France after the England match.
Max Malins, Ralph Adams-Hale and Ben Earl are all set to start the match at fly-half, prop and flanker respectively. The team’s unbeaten performance in the tournament so far has been impressive, easily winning over Samoa in their opening fixture, before a tougher challenge from 6 Nations rivals Wales and an extremely tight match against Australia U20.
The clash against the Wallabies came down to a margin of a single point, with the men in white winning 20-19. After going in at the end of the first half trailing the Australians despite a superb score from wing Ibitoye that was converted by Saracens’ Max Malins, a gallant team effort saw them climb back up the scoreboard via a try from front row Marcus Street, again with the extras added by Malins.
The fly half’s boot proved to be crucial, as after an Australian penalty in the 72nd minute which saw them take the lead again, Malins was able to kick his team to victory with less than 2 minutes to play after a yellow card for the Wallabies, handing England U20 another semi-final to relish.
Fans in the UK can watch tomorrow’s clash against South Africa live on ITV 4, with kick off at 15H00, and with 143 tries having been scored in the pool stages, it’s one not to be missed!
England U20 team to face South Africa:
15. Tom Parton (London Irish)
14. Darren Atkins (Bath Rugby)
13. Will Butler (Worcester Warriors)
12. Theo Brophy Clews (London Irish)
11. Gabriel Ibitoye (Harlequins)
10. Max Malins (Saracens)
9. Alex Mitchell (Northampton Saints)
1. Ralph Adams-Hale (Saracens)
2. Joe Mullis (Gloucester Rugby)
3. Marcus Street (Exeter Chiefs)
4. Josh Caulfield (Exeter Chiefs)
5. Justin Clegg (Worcester Warriors)
6. Dino Lamb (Harlequins)
7. Ben Earl (Saracens)
8. Zach Mercer (Bath Rugby) captain
16. Henry Walker (Gloucester Rugby)
17. Ollie Dawe (Bristol Rugby)
18. Ciaran Knight (Gloucester Rugby)
19. Max Davies (Newcastle Falcons)
20. Josh Bayliss (Bath Rugby)
21. Harry Randall (Gloucester Rugby)
22. Jacob Umaga (Wasps)
23. Paolo Odogwu (Sale Sharks)
England's 2017 World Rugby U20 Championship fixtures:
England 74 v 14 Samoa: Wednesday 31 May – Avchala Stadium
England 34 v 22 Wales: Sunday 4 June - Avchala Stadium
England 20 v 19 Australia: Thursday 8 June - Avchala Stadium
Semi-final - England v South Africa: Tuesday 13 June - Mikheil Meskhi Stadium
Final and knock-out matches (Sunday 18 June) Details TBC