Jun 05, 2018
Job vacancy: Saracens women head coach
Saracens Women Head Coach
Saracens Women’s Rugby Team was formed in 1989 and, since that date has achieved unprecedented success. In April 2018, Saracens made history once again, winning the inaugural Tyrrells Premier 15s Championship. This is a pioneering club that has led the game on and off the field over the past 30 years.
Whilst Saracens Women has built a reputation for high performance rugby, the team’s success has been underpinned by a passionate commitment to player development. High quality coaching, exceptional sport science and medicine support, and access to world-class facilities make Saracens the country’s leading team.
Our success is complemented by the partnership with Saracens’ professional men’s team. This unique relationship means the Saracens philosophy, values and brand are shared across men’s and women’s squads. Saracens Women are based at Allianz Park and work closely with the professional club’s performance, communications and facilities departments.
Saracens Women Head Coach
Saracens Women are seeking an exceptional Head Coach with the skills, qualifications and experience to lead the club’s continued success. The successful candidate will provide strategic and technical leadership to players and coaches, striving for the highest standards of performance. Individuals applying for this position will be expected to demonstrate their ability to contribute to our vision, mission and performance goals.
To create a unique, world-leading environment which nurtures and develops everyone in the Saracens Women family.
In the relentless pursuit of excellence we will build a successful, sustainable and inclusive club.
Work Rate - Discipline - Honesty - Humility
How to apply
Candidates are asked to submit a CV that details their rugby and leadership experience, along with a covering letter that sets out how they meet the person specification below.
- Design and oversee implementation of a high performance plan for Saracens Women that enhances individual and team performance, and ensures achievement of the Mission
- Create a player recruitment and development plan that will support the performance plan
- Deliver technical coaching of the highest standards to Saracens players
- Manage, develop and align coaches and sports science and medicine practitioners working with Saracens players to ensure a coherent and cohesive approach to their development
- Develop a high performance plan that sets out how Saracens Women will build on and continue to achieve Premier 15s success
- Create a technical framework for the development and progression of players, ensuring training and competition environments are optimal to achieve performance gains
- Deliver individual, group, team and squad coaching sessions that drive performance and enhance development
- Conduct in–depth analysis of individual players, the team and the opposition
- Ensure Individual development plans are in place for each squad player, based on a regular interactive process of review and feedback
- Develop a culture and team environment that are inclusive, performance-orientated and player-centred
- Influence and support the Saracens Women Academy coaching programme
- Deliver the RFU Centre of Excellence coaching programme to junior players as part of the Saracens Women pathway
- Develop and consistently implement selection policies and procedures that maximise the available playing talent and enable individual development, including the achievement of international honours
- Ensure the effective deployment of all allocated resources to the achievement of performance plan KPIs
- Build effective relationships with Assistant Coaches, Sport Science and Medicine personnel, Saracens Ltd, England Rugby Coaches and the Saracens Women Ltd Board
- Oversee and support the professional development of Assistant Coaches
- Abide by and promote all Saracens Women policies, including without limitation safeguarding, equality and anti-doping policies
- Contribute to the preparation of RFU Audit Reports
- Report to the Saracens Women Board on progress against the performance plan as required.
The successful candidate will be expected to live and promote Saracens Values at all times. In addition s/he must demonstrate the following core competencies:
- A commitment to Saracens Women, its vision, mission and performance goals
- Highly developed oral and written communication skills
- A commitment to individual growth and development – self and others
- Excellent planning and organisational skills
- An ability to inspire and build trust
Role specific skills and knowledge
This is a high performance coaching position, requiring exceptional rugby knowledge, coaching and leadership skills, and experience of working under pressure. The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate the following:
- Qualified to UKCC Level 3 or above with a proven track record of high performance coaching at professional, semi-professional or representative levels, or within Women’s Premier 15s
- Evidence of building a programme that delivers sustainable success with athlete development at its centre
- Evidence of creating and maintaining a high performance environment that nurtures and develops individuals, creates collective commitment and drives standards of performance towards a shared goal
- Experience of successfully leading and managing a team of coaches and support personnel
- Knowledge and experience of performance analysis
- Evidence of successfully working under pressure to achieve performance goals whilst continuing to maintain values
- An understanding and awareness of the practical, educational, vocational and social needs of elite female players
- Knowledge and understanding of women’s sport and women’s rugby, and the sporting landscape in which Saracens Women operates
- Excellent ICT skills including use of performance analysis tools
- An ability to engage with the media and/or has received media training would be beneficial
- Valid UK driving licence.
|Job Title||Head Coach|
|Location||Allianz Park, Greenlands Lane, Hendon, London NW4 1RL|
|Hours of work||36 hours per weekThe nature of this role will require the candidate to work evenings and weekends as required|
|Responsible to||Laura Eddie, Club Director|
|Contractual status||Permanent, Full Time - subject to successful completion of a probationary period|
|Key relationships||Saracens Women Ltd BoardAssistant CoachesSport Science and Sport Medicine LeadEngland Rugby Coaches and support personnel|
Applications should be submitted to LauraEddie@saracenswomen.net by Monday 18 June. Shortlisted candidates will be contacted by Wednesday 21 June and first stage interviews will take place on Thursday 28 June.
Please contact Laura Eddie if you wish to discuss the Head Coach role.