Saracens - Match Report: Storm 35-17 Harlequins

Oct 01, 2018

Match Report: Storm 35-17 Harlequins

Saracens Storm made it three wins in a row with a 35-17 Premiership Rugby Shield victory over Harlequins at Allianz Park.

Adam Powell’s side picked up a bonus-point with Sione Vailanu, Ali Crossdale and Ben Earl adding to a penalty try and 13 points from Tom Whiteley’s boot.

Whiteley nudged an early three in a frantic beginning with counterpart Ross Chisholm’s penalty fading wide moments later.

The fast-paced, to me, to you start continued until Sarries’ set-piece allowed for the first try of the game.

A well-worked line-out, won following a great press, led to Vailanu storming down the blindside and burrowing over; Whiteley converting the extras from the touchline with aplomb.

Quins rallied and dominated possession for a short period before crossing for a score of their own; scrum-half Dave Lewis seizing an opportunity to take a quick tap and dart to the line.

Chisholm was successful with the follow-up and missed the chance to draw the visitors level, sliding a straightforward penalty to the left of the posts.

Then the Storm pack took matters into their own hands to move the hosts 10 points ahead once more.

Winning a penalty at scrum time, the home eight forced Quins into a mistake five metres out and after the away side were pinged a further four times due to Sarries’ forward dominance and the referee ran underneath the sticks.

The north Londoners’ advantage was cut to three seconds into the second period with Chisholm profiting from Hugh Tizzard’s break and adding the extras.

However, any hopes of an immediate comeback were quashed when Crossdale slid into the corner. The England Under-20 was the last man in a superb free-flowing attacking move, not too dissimilar to that of the Liam Williams’ first against Bath on Saturday.

An injury to James Dixon halted proceedings for several minutes before Chisholm knocked over a penalty to make it 22-17.

But Whiteley’s two penalties in quick succession and Earl’s 40-metre run in made the match safe as Storm continued their fine form.


Share this story