Saracens - REPORT: Wasps show class to beat Sarries

May 06, 2017

REPORT: Wasps show class to beat Sarries

Saracens were beaten 35-15 by Wasps on the final day of the Premiership season, meaning that they will travel to face Exeter in the Premiership Semi-Finals.

The Men in Black scored the first try of a frantic opening-half through Ben Spencer before Thomas Young hit straight back for Wasps. This made the scores tight before Young’s second try sent the home side into the changing rooms in the lead. 

Christian Wade scored Wasps’ third try after the break before Spencer struck back for Sarries to complete his brace and provide a glimmer of hope for the visitors.

However, Wasps showed their class to pull away as Elliot Daly added a bonus point try before Young completed the scoring with his hat-trick score. The result means that Sarries will face Exeter at Sandy Park after finishing third while Wasps top the table after getting all five points.

After a kick-off delayed by 15-minutes, Wasps were the first team on the score-sheet. An infringement at the scrum gave Jimmy Gopperth the chance to score a penalty kick from 34 metres out. He took it well to send Wasps into a 3-0 lead.

Sarries struck back straight away from the restart. A line-out was won before the ball was played inside to the centre of the pitch. Spencer showed great awareness to pick the ball from the bottom of a ruck before darting through the Wasps defence to score under the posts. Alex Lozowski converted against his former club to send Sarries into a 3-7 lead.

By this point the match was wide open and the hosts struck back immediately. A grubber was knocked through by Danny Cipriani to put the ball on a sixpence for Young to seize upon and touch down in the corner and restore a tight 1-point lead.

The Men in Black regained the lead in the 31st minute. Wasps conceded a penalty from 54 metres out and Marcelo Bosch stepped up to take the kick. In customary fashion the Argentine gave the ball the biggest of hits and it snuck through the posts.

In a topsy-turvy half Wasps regained the lead two minutes later. Sean Maitland was shown a yellow card for what Wayne Barnes deemed to have been blocking Wade’s run. The resulting penalty handed the hosts a 1-point lead.

Young added his second try in the 39th minute of an action-packed first-half. The openside flanker latched onto a fantastic pass to score well in the corner. Gopperth missed his conversion to leave the half-time score 16-10.

Wasps extended their lead in the 58th minute. Wasps drew in the Sarries defence with men out-wide before the ball was kicked through. It was nearly gathered by Alex Goode but good pressure from the home side knocked the ball loose for Wade to seize upon and score. Gopperth’s conversion took the score to 23-10.

Sarries rallied in the 63rd minute, Spencer bagged his brace after a long spell of pressure on the Wasps try-line. The irresistible Sarries pressure paid off when the scrum-half spotted a gap and powered through under the challenge of the defender to make the score 23-15.

The hosts ran in their fourth try in the 71st minute. England man Elliot Daly spotted a gap out on the left-wing and powered through to score in the corner before Gopperth converted from out wide to make the score 28-15.

The final try was scored by Young, completing his hat-trick and making the final score 37-15 after Gopperth’s conversion.

Share this story