Saracens - Northampton Saints 25 Saracens 20

Apr 25, 2015

Northampton Saints 25 Saracens 20

Saracens were beaten 25-20 by Northampton Saints at Stadium MK on Saturday.

Saracens held a 17-13 lead at the interval after two Chris Wyles tries, but Saints fly-half Stephen Myler kept chipping away at the lead and his personal haul of 20 points won the game for the home side.

It was a bright start from the visitors who were on the scoreboard within the opening 10 minutes with a well worked try for Chris Wyles.

After sucking in the Saints defence with a powerful driving maul, the ball went through three pairs of hands before Alex Goode released the USA international to score. Charlie Hodgson added the extras.

[caption id="attachment_40787" align="alignnone" width="560"]Northampton v Saracens, 25/04/2015 Wing Wyles crosses for his first of two first half tries.[/caption]

But Saints stepped up their intensity after the score and Stephen Myler hit back with two penalties to reduce the Sarries lead.

However, after terrific pressure deep in the Saints 22, Sarries turned the ball over and it was worked wide for Wyles to score his second of the match. Hodgson converted from the touchline.

But it was a topsy turvy game and on 20 minutes Saints hit back with a try of their own when Luther Burrell made the break and released Samu Manoa to score. Myler added the extras to make it 14-13.

Both sides had chances to add to their lead as the game wore towards half time with Hodgson and Myler seeing penalties attempts drift wide.

But Hodgson was on target with just two minutes left in the half as he struck a kick from 45 metres.

After the break, Hodgson was on target again to extend the lead but that sparked the Saints into life.

A quick tap penalty inside the Sarries 22 saw Maro Itoje have to make the tackle and earn a yellow card. Sarries cleared the danger but George Pisi was held up over the line but the danger was still not cleared giving Saints a 5m attacking scrum. However, they cleared the danger but within seconds, a Saints penalty gave Myler a simple three points.

Myler made it a one-point game again as the game reached the hour mark with the Sarries defence caught offside on their own 22. And after spending much of the second period inside the Saracens half, Myler gave his side the lead with another kick at goal on 64 minutes.

And when he struck another kick with 10 minutes to go, the Saints held as five point lead going into the final few minutes and it was a lead they held to claim the victory.

Share this story