Saracens - Saracens brush aside Warriors

May 03, 2014

Saracens brush aside Warriors

Saracens consigned Worcester Warriors to the Championship after another bonus point win at Allianz Park, and in the process breaking the Premiership record for points accumulated during one season with one round to go.

Jackson Wray scored a hat-trick of tries, with Chris Ashton bagging a brace and David Strettle crossing for yet another try at Allianz Park.

Saracens raced out of the blocks immediately looking to impose their authority onto proceedings, and as the Saracens fans bathed in the resplendent May sunshine, the Sarries faithful didn’t have to wait too long to see that early dominance tell when David Strettle crossed in the opening minutes.

The ball found its way the left hand wing with what for Worcester head honcho must have been alarming ease. Full-back Alex Goode showed good footwork and vision to find Strettle who crossed for his 11th try of the Premiership season. Goode converted.

Strettle’s wing partner was next, as April Premiership Player of the Month nominee Chris Ashton collected the ever dangerous Goode’s pass to finish strongly in the north east corner of the ground. Goode missed the extras.

The England full-back again kicking instead of Owen Farrell due to the fly-half’s sore right foot, sent over a penalty to make the scores 15 -3.

The Warriors hit back though after a ten minute period of reset scrums that eventually saw Rhys Gill (on for Mako Vunipola after seven minutes) yellow carded, talismanic full back Chris Pennell raced over to score. Lamb converted as the Warriors looked to close the gap on the Premiership leaders.

As the seconds ticked down and Worcester looked good value for keeping the winning margin to five points going into the break, Jackson Wray crossed for Saracens third of the day to go into half-time 22-10 up.

Saracens looked better at the set-piece after the break and the front row of the Saracens pack forced Worcester into conceding a penalty. Goode struck the penalty kick over with ease.

Then the floodgates opened. First, Chris Ashton crossed for his second try of the day in the right hand corner, the Jackson Wray completed his hat-trick with two powerful finishes first in the 62nd minute, then moments later in the 64th minute.

Saracens were now 44-10 up with ten minutes to go, and after using all their substitutions during the second half, when Will Fraser was withdrawn Mark McCall’s men had to finish the remainder of the game down to 14-men.

Worcester crossed for their second of the day when Semisi Taulava bulldozed his way to the try line. Pennell missed the conversion, but atoned for his wayward effort to score his second try as Saracens were down to 12 men with Neil de Kock and David Strettle in the sin-bin as Saracens won the game 44-20.


Share this story