Saracens - Saracens Women march on

Oct 20, 2014

Saracens Women march on

On a sunny afternoon at Allianz Park, Saracens just edged out a tight contest against Worcester Ladies, to win 22-17.

In an end-to-end spectacle in which both sides tried to throw the ball about, Saracens took the lead on from a well worked catch and drive from a lineout and Poppy Cleall pushed over. The home side struck again through their strong forward pack to produce an identical score from the driving maul, this time captain Maggie Alphonsi on the end of it.

Full-back Lauren Cattell added the conversion to take the score to 12-0 in the first quarter. Saracens continued to pin Worcester in their 22m and had several opportunities through USA centre, Emilie Bydwell however the home side couldn’t cross the whitewash. The visitors struck back on the half hour mark, scoring against the run of play through a quick break from a penalty with a strong finish from Bianca Blackburn to make it 12-5.

Speedy Saracens winger, Zira Handley tried to turn the corner before half time however was cut down by the equally pacey, Lydia Thompson in a try saving tackle. The home side had the opportunity to extend their lead after being awarded a penalty, however Cattell pushed it wide leaving the score 12-5 at the break.

Saracens started the second half brightly with Cattell dotting down at 44 minutes, however the try was deemed to be held up so disallowed. Not to be rattled, the home side regrouped and responded with a quick score within a minute by new recruit, Loz Morton pouncing on the loose ball to make it 17-5. Worcester immediately struck back with excellent work from their forward pack, lead by England internationals Clarke and Keates which allowed the tighthead to cross the line and narrow the gap as Megan Goddard added the extras 17-12.

In a physical game, both packs fought hard to win the advantage at the breakdown. Second row, Heather Stammers was rewarded for her efforts in the tight through another well worked forward move to make it 22-12.

Worcester continued to press hard and threw everything at the home side with a try held up over the line on the 75th minute. The visitors had the final say in the dying seconds via some quick thinking from a penalty for Rochelle Clarke to dot over from close range, ending the game 22-17 to Saracens.


Share this story